6/23/08

Teaneck Armory Soldiers Report For Deployment


June 22, 2008The men and women of Fox Trot company reported for duty Sunday morning for "first formation," the start of a long and arduous year for these soldiers based out of the Teaneck Armory.
The soldiers will be deployed to Iraq, and for many, like Englewood barber and Private First Class David Morera, it's their first time overseas. "It's another day on the job, basically this is what I signed up for," Morera said. "I was looking forward to a deployment whether it was Iraq or Afghanistan, wherever they needed me." Morrera, only 27 years old, said he's looking for a new challenge.
Leonia high school graduate Private First Class Juan Estevez always knew of the Teaneck Armory, he just said he never saw himself coming here to line up and head off to war. "I always thought of myself as going to school full time, graduating, starting a family, but not going into battle," Estevez said. But the 23 year old added that he's ready to go. Estevez, like Morera, is shipping out for the first time.
Cliffside Park mailman Leon Yearty is heading to Iraq for his second tour of duty. Only this time, he leaves behind not just his wife. "My main thing was, this my first time being married with a little baby, and that's the hardest part," Yearty said. "I mean, she went through the first deployment with me, and now we've got a little kid in the middle. It's a little touching." Despite leaving their families behind, all the soldiers who spoke with NY1 said they're ready to go. Morera says the success of his deployment depends on being in the right mindset. "I'm looking for the challenge. I go out there, do what I got to do, do my job, and hopefully come back in one piece, cause, as you could, see all the guys that are coming back from over there are missing limbs and things like that," Morera said. "I'm not scared at all. If you think about it, I think that will mess you up." Foxtrot Company heads to Fort Bliss in Texas later this week for some extended training. Sometime in the near future it's off to Iraq.
- Jon Weinstein for TheShopNews ©

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

GOD BLESS OF ALL YOU